Jell Pik Moo is a simple spicy pork sauce that goes well with sticky rice or over rice vermicelli or white rice. This version was given to me by my Thai patient Mrs. Lynch. As with most Thai versions, this is a bit sweeter and saltier than the Lao version.
- 1 lb Lean Ground Pork
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 Shallots Finely Chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves Chopped Finely
- 2 Plum Tomoatoes Chopped
- 1-3 Tsp Ground Red Pepper to taste
- 4 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
- 4 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 3 Tablespoons Minced Thai (Kaffir) Lime Leaves (Cilantro works as an acceptable substituion)
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- Heat the oil over medium heat
- Add the shallots, sugar, red pepper, and garlic and cook for a few seconds, until fragrant
- Add the pork and break up the pieces as much as possible; cook until slightly browned
- Add soy sauce, fish sauce, tomatoes, and lime leaves.Stir over medium low heat until well combined and tomatoes are soft.
- Off heat, stir in the lime juice and adjust spiciness with crushed red pepper to taste.